What is the best diet?
That’s a great question, and as you may have come to expect from me now the answer is ‘it depends’.
We have evolved to be very adaptable to a whole range of dietary conditions, and many popular diets do promote good nutrition. The truth is there is no best diet.
Good nutrition – no matter what your goal – should satisfy the following seven fundamental principles:
What Makes Good Nutrition?
- You will not have to think about great nutrition – it will become a natural way of life
- Great nutrition is not a ‘diet’ that you stick to. It will not come to an end.
- Great nutrition will properly control energy balance.
- Great nutrition will provide nutrient density.
- Great nutrition will provide an improved body composition, health and performance.
- Great nutrition is honest and outcome based.
- Great nutrition is sustainable for you.
In the end, it doesn’t matter what your beliefs may be, it is possible to achieve good nutrition with a little thought and guidance.
The great thing about this is that you can achieve better health, performance and body composition goals while eating foods that work for you.
The best diet is the one that works for you.
In the end it’s not complicated, but it can seem overwhelming if you’re coming from a place where you feel you have little control of your nutrition habits. Perhaps with periods of restriction , over eating, and strict dieting followed by blowout.
If you would appreciate some help staying consistent, and you like the idea of having a clear path to follow that has been shown to be effective in helping people lose weight and get off the diet roller coaster, then you may be interested in coaching.